BAC Bursary for Business History Research
BAC Bursary 2022
One of the key purposes of the Business Archives Council is to encourage interest in and study of business history and archives, with a remit covering England and Wales. This bursary, made possible by the generosity of Sir Peter Thompson, former Chairman of the National Freight Corporation, and the Wellcome Foundation, provides financial support for researchers to access business and organisational archives who would not otherwise able to do so.
We welcome applications from researchers of all kinds who are unable to fund their costs, particularly those who don’t have permanent contracts of employment. Our aim in awarding the bursary is to foster diversity and inclusion in access to business archives.
Our annual bursary fund is approximately £1000 and we may make one or more awards. The size of the pot makes it most suitable for smaller-scale projects, such as scoping or pilot studies, early-stage development of collaborations and exploratory work. We are open, however, to any proposal focused on business archives that meets the eligibility guidelines, regardless of the form and purpose.
To be eligible for the BAC Research Support Bursary, researchers should:
- Be able to identify one or more business or organisational archives based in England and Wales that they intend to use as part of a 200-word outline, as well as any outputs they hope to produce
- Be willing to contribute two short BAC articles for the BAC newsletter or website about their research
- Commit to acknowledging the BAC and the specific archives used in any outputs arising from their research, such as talks, papers, blogs and articles
- Confirm that they don’t have access to alternative funding sources to support their project
We are keen to give our award-holders opportunities to share their research. We will therefore offer all successful applicants the following, without obligation:
- Free attendance (when charged) for successful applicants at the BAC annual conference the year after receipt of the bursary
- An invitation to give a short, informal talk about their research at the BAC awards event the year after receipt of the bursary
- An invitation to contribute to the annual Association of Business Historians conference
How to apply
Please complete this simple application on GoogleForms here by midday on 16th September 2022.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel consisting of Dr Alix Green (BAC Trustee, University of Essex), Prof John Wilson (Newcastle Business School) and Prof Lucy Newton (Henley Business School). The successful applicant/s will be informed by 14th October and a formal announcement will be made at the BAC’s annual awards event towards the end of 2022. If you have any questions, please contact Alix Green: email@example.com
Find out more about past winners.